Fixed-term Whakapiki Ake Recruitment Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Our lecturers and health researchers are regarded as experts in their fields, frequently directing global research projects designed to better the lives of New Zealanders and the world, and in turn passing this knowledge on to our students.
We are seeking an inspirational and passionate individual. You will be a positive role model to support rangatahi on their cultural and educational journey. Working with whānau is integral to this role. You will be highly self-motivated, have a high level of energy and committed to supporting the ongoing development of a kaupapa Māori framework. You will need to have a strong work ethic, ability and desire to learn on the job. The initiative, ability to take direction and work in a fast-paced environment will be important.
Whakapiki Ake (WAP) is the Māori Recruitment Project, University of Auckland. A part of the Faculty of Medical Health Sciences, Vision 20:20, with a goal to increase the Māori and Pacific Health workforce by 10% by 2020.
The WAP Recruitment Officer role will have a specific focus on:
- Actively engages with rangatahi and whānau in school and community environments.
- Operates within a kaupapa Māori framework.
- Supports rangatahi and whānau to address the barriers that prevent rangatahi from aspiring to consider a career in health or achieving academic success in the secondary sector to have a choice to consider a health pathway.
- Works in collaboration with others to support rangatahi and whānau.
- Support rangatahi to confidently and competently use te reo Māori and engage with tikanga Māori in a range of informal and formal setting
Our ideal candidate
Ideally our successful applicant will be tertiary qualified and will have a high-level competency in Te Reo Māori me ona tikanga, and can articulate well in English, in both writing and conversation.
- You will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have the ability to manage multiple priorities in a busy environment
- Computer literate and experience in using Microsoft Office suite
- An in-depth knowledge and appreciation of Te Reo Māori, Tikanga, and Te Ao Māori
- Ability to develop and retain relationships across communities (WAP operates across multiple organisations, schools, marae, hapū/iwi, internal University schools, departments and faculties).
- Great attitude and application when delivering WAP activities to a diversity of rangatahi.
- Adaptability and flexibility to present to rangatahi, whānau and other relevant audiences both large and small according to their need.
The successful applicants must meet the following requirements for the role:
- The ability to travel out of the Auckland region
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours and weekends when required
Why work for us?
The University of Auckland is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices
- Career development programmes
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave
- Company superannuation scheme, discounted car parking, a generous parental leave allowance, childcare and a number of other discounts on internal and external services.
For more information please visit Staff Benefits.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online, by the closing date of Sunday, 31 March 2019 to be considered. Please include your cover letter and CV combined as one document.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTI, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz
How to ApplyIn order to apply you will first need to register with the University by completing an online user profile via their website. APPLY NOW by clicking HERE to register with the University's website. Search by the Job ID number: 20581. Please combine your cover letter and CV as one document when submitting your application. To successfully download the full Job Description you should ensure you have pop-up blocker disabled and file downloads enabled (in Internet Explorer enabling file downloads is done by navigating to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level and select radio button to enable File Downloads). If you are experiencing difficulty in any aspect of the application process or if you do not receive a confirmation email that you have applied for a role, please contact email@example.com or Phone 09 923 1115. Applications close: Sunday 31st March 2019.
408 total views, 2 today