Full-Time Smokefree Practitioner
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
- Support Smokefree Aotearoa 2025
- Empower individuals, allow whānau to thrive and help communities flourish.
- Apply your experience to make a positive impact on the health system and future of Tamaki Makaurau.
- Our commitment to you is supporting your development and journey into your career aspirations.
Nau mai haere mai, he waka eke noa
welcome, we are all in this together
He aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
what is the most important thing in this world, I would say it is people, it is people, it is people.
Here at Te Toka Tumai (ADHB), our kaimahi are the key to our success, and we aim to have a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and our commitment to the Tiriti o Waitangi; this is important to us. It’s important to our patients, community, and whānau—seeing others with similar backgrounds ensures they know they can be their authentic selves when they connect with us at Te Toka Tumai and feel supported.
You will join our small team that values the diversity of thought, backgrounds and experiences we all uniquely bring and are an advocate for supporting Hauora (well-being).
The role of the Smokefree Practitioner is to support and provide coaching to whānau through their Smokefree journey by providing evidence-based smoking cessation support. This role will provide a vital link to communicate, engage and raise awareness of the Smokefree kaupapa across our two sites Te Toka Tumai and Greenlane Clinical Centre. Some of the key focuses are:
- Help patients, staff and whānau understand our smoking cessation support principles by providing all options available to stop smoking.
- Motivate and empower whānau to make behaviour changes.
- Plan and organise their workload, including the management of a patient caseload.
- Setting up and delivering regular support sessions from a variety of accessible avenues.
- Developing strong connections with local community groups.
- Deliver a mixture of telephone and kanohi-ki-te-kanohi behaviour support.
- Flexible to work between our two sites Te Toka Tumai and Greenlane Clinical Centre, to encourage community engagement and offer support from within.
- Provide high quality, efficient service throughout a diverse range of community settings
For further details, please refer to the position description here.
What you will bring
Great kaimahi (staff) are at the heart of everything we do – we realise that great kaimahi provide great services. We here at Te Toka Tumai look for motivated, proactive, and passionate individuals to encourage people to live healthier lives for themselves, whānau and their community. Whilst you will need to have a recognised health professional or relevant tertiary degree relevant work experience, it is essential you can demonstrate the following:
- Passion for helping people to make positive changes
- A strong commitment to understanding te Tiriti o Waitangi and how that supports your mahi
- An understanding or awareness of Kaupapa Māori methodologies and Māori health models
- Proactive in navigating open discussions around stopping smoking
- Motivation and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with local organisations and team members
- Ideally you will have previous Smoking Cessation or health promotion experience
- Experience and understanding of the principles of smoking cessation, the harmful effects of smoking and why people smoke or equivalent health improvement environment
- Understanding of the barriers to uptake and how to overcome them
We are also interested in hearing from aspiring rangatahi who have a few years of experience under their belt and are looking for growth and a genuine pathway for development in a career or return to work mums or dads that can bring a wealth of lived experience.
Why you will enjoy working here
We recognise there is more to life than work, and we encourage and provide access to all our kaimahi, services and benefits to support themselves whilst they are with the Te Toka Tumai whānau:
- We provide comprehensive training and an onboarding program that sets you up for success
- Stop Smoking Practitioner Program certificate qualification
- Access to free Te Reo Māori class
- Personalised development plans which link to your career aspirations
- Gilmour’s staff card – discounts across big known retailers enabling our colleagues to make significant savings on everyday shopping for bulk buying food items
- Employee Assistance Programme – Confidential support year-round
How to apply
For more information about this role please email Kelleigh Embers, Manager Smokefree Services @KelleighE@adhb.govt.nz
If you have any queries about this opportunity or accessibility or technical issues with the online process, please contact Emma, Recruitment Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph. 021 571192 quoting ADHB11033 to discuss how we can best support your application.
How to ApplyAPPLY HERE. Applications close 30th September 2021.
248 total views, 1 today