Full-Time Pou Angitu
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Facilitate and identify opportunities to support the ongoing learning and development of students by creating access to student focused, cultural, academic, wellbeing and sports opportunities.
- Lead this ground-breaking, Māori educational initiative.
- Advocate on a national and international level for the rights and aspirations of iwi, whānau, schools, staff and students.
- Work in conjunction with all Ngā Kura ā Iwi schools and their Iwi partners.
Established in 2007, Ngā Kura ā Iwi o Aotearoa Inc. (NKAI) is a movement that has evolved due to the commitment and sacrifice of kaumatua, community leaders, whānau, kura, teachers and students. NKAI is a constituted body that represents and supports 36 tribal schools across New Zealand and growing.
Te Whare Angitu is a new, innovative kaupapa that compliments the learning and development that our students experience in their schools.
Nga Mātāpono – Ko te Ringa Wera he Kāhui.
- Pono: We are trustworthy and reliable.
- Whakaaro Nui: We respect each other and what we bring.
- Angitu: We focus on quality by delivering detail on time.
- Wānanga: We honestly challenge the idea to get the best results for our kaupapa.
- Hāpai Tukuihotanga (Reo me ngā Tikanga): We uphold our culturacy.
NKAI strive to support the aspirations of iwi, whānau, our schools and communities by;
- Establishing and supporting opportunities for our people to work together and learn from each other.
- Facilitating opportunities to support the capability building of iwi, hapū, school boards, principals, staff, and students.
- Advocating on a national and international level for the rights and aspirations of our iwi, whānau, kura, staff and students.
- Establishing and nurturing partnerships with tribal entities, government agencies and the private sector to support our kaupapa and strategic priorities.
This newly created position is an opportunity to make a difference in Māori Medium Education across Aotearoa. You will be part of a movement committed to Tukuihotanga (cultural autonomy), Mātauranga Mana Motuhake (intellectual independence) and Whai Oranga (holistic wellbeing) for all members of NKAI. We believe that all Māori students can succeed as members of whānau, hapū and Iwi.
Te Whare Angitu will support Ngā Kura a Iwi’s wider strategy to grow the number of Kura a Iwi in Aotearoa. Two key criticisms of Māori Medium Education are focused on the perceived “limited” curriculum in Māori Medium Education and whānau wanting their children to have access to a wider range of learning and extra-curricular opportunities.
Te Whare Angitu is a new, innovative, kaupapa that compliments the learning and development that our students experience in their schools. Te Pou Angitu will be appointed to establish and lead Te Whare Angitu. The goal of Te Whare Angitu is for our students, especially those in our Wharekura (Year 9-13) to have access to excellent student focussed, cultural, academic, wellbeing and sports opportunities delivered by experts. These learning and development opportunities will be facilitated through a combination of technology-based distance learning strategies and effective pedagogy for rangatahi Māori including “wānanga’. Enrolment into Whare Angitu programmes are based on student readiness, and not on age.
Te Whare Angitu will be part of and utilise Ngā Kura ā Iwi’s organisational infrastructure and networks. The Pou Angitu will need to have the range of skills to establish this unique kaupapa, pedagogy, systems, and facilitation team required to ensure that we have quality learning and development opportunities delivered directly to our student who are enrolled into Te Whare Angitu.
Skills, knowledge, experience, and competences required for application will include;
- Fluency in Te Reo Māori me ōna Tikanga.
- Experience in supporting and mentoring education leaders.
- Knowledge of, and experience in working with both qualitative and quantitative data and analysis.
- An in depth understanding of iwi partnerships and kaupapa Māori education.
- Knowledge of how school principals operate and their responsibilities to meeting Ministry of Education requirements.
- Current date knowledge of year 1-13 New Zealand curriculum developments.
- Strong knowledge of Te Marautanga o Aotearoa (TMoA), NZQA protocols and practices for NCEA.
- Understanding of education systems in New Zealand, and relevant education legislation.
- Well established iwi links and networks.
- Experience in framework set up, implementation and continuous improvement.
- Strong negotiation, communication and influencing skills.
- Experience incorporating documentation, designing and delivering programmes, projects and initiatives.
Your established connections with Iwi linked to the NKAI organisation would be highly regarded.
A tertiary qualification with a significant component in Education or other relevant discipline is preferred, however, may be offset by considerable experience.
As part of the NKAI management team (Ngā Ringa Wera), you will work primarily from home and will be connected to the team via technology, and strong established infrastructure. Travel will also be built into your schedule and as you regularly report into the Pou Kōkiri (CEO) and connect with other the members of the team based across Aotearoa. You will also be supported with a high level of flexibility with regards to your time and how you manage your workload.
Remuneration is banded to attract a senior skill set of applicants.
To express an interest on a strictly confidential basis please email your cover letter and current CV through to Heather Walker at Mana Recruitment at email@example.com or if you have questions regarding the position, please call (09) 632 1108.
Applications Close: Monday 17th August 2020 at 5pm.
How to ApplyTo express an interest on a strictly confidential basis please email your cover letter and current CV through to Heather Walker at Mana Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you have questions regarding the position, please call (09) 632 1108. Applications Close: Monday 17th August 2020 at 5pm.
1992 total views, 1 today