Fixed-term Ministerial Appointments to the Board of Halswell & Westbridge College
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Ministerial Appointment to the Combined Board of Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School
We are currently seeking two people who are interested in being appointed as a member of the Combined Board for Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School. These positions are for a term of up to three years.
The Board’s constitution allows for up to five members appointed by the Minister of Education. Two positions are available from 25 February 2024. The Board is responsible for the governance of both schools, is the employer of school staff and sets each school’s overall strategic direction. Members of the Board work to ensure the goals of the schools are met for the benefit of all students and their families and whānau.
About the Schools
Halswell Residential College in Christchurch and Westbridge Residential School in Massey, West Auckland both provide special education within a residential setting for students who need significant programme adaption and whose educational, social and emotional needs cannot be met in their local environment.
Halswell Residential College (HRC) caters for students with intellectual and/or learning disabilities and prides itself on creating a unique, exciting environment that embraces all types of learners and promotes growth both academically and personally. For more information about HRC, please visit https://www.halswellcollege.com/
Westbridge Residential School (WRS)has a strong focus on using Restorative Practices as a way of supporting its students to make positive changes in behaviour. The small classes and high teacher to student ratios ensure academic success.For more information about WRS, please visit https://www.westbridge.school.nz/
Students are typically enrolled in the schools for between 12-18 months during which time their families and whānau are also supported.
Does this sound like you?
The Combined Board for Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School needs members with a broad range of skills and experience, including the following:
- a Te Ao Māori or Pacific, lens that can articulate the needs and aspirations of Māori and Pacific students and their whānau
- a disability, neurodiversity, equity or inclusion lens that can articulate the needs of students requiring learning support
- an understanding of school governance systems and structures
- an interest and/or experience in one of these specialist residential interventions and the welfare of their students
- an understanding of the interfaces between Residential Specialist Schools, Education (and in particular learning support and equity) and the Welfare system, and their impact on students
- the ability to be forward thinking, embrace innovation and be receptive to new ideas
- the ability to work in a team, with excellent communication and strategic thinking skills
- sound judgement and a willingness to ask challenging questions
- experience or knowledge in the areas such as education, finance, law, property, human resources, health, mental health, neurodiversity, disability and/or social sectors
- a professional background in psychology or mental health or an understanding of trauma and trauma informed care is also desirable, but not essential.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich the Board.
Please note that Clauses 9 and 10 of Schedule 23 of the Education and Training Act 2020, list the categories of persons who are not eligible to be board members. Please refer to the attached document above regarding eligibility for this role.
If you have an interest in the education of these students, please apply online through our Careers Centre, jobs.education.govt.nz.
You will need to provide:
- An electronic copy of your CV (Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter.Within your cover letter, please outline your suitability for the role, under the following headings:-Your interest and/or experience in school governance and provide examples.-Your interest and experience with students with specialist education or learning support needs, Māori students and Pacific students, and provide examples. Please also include your interest in the Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School.-Other knowledge, skills, personal attributes and experience relevant to the proposed appointment, with examples.
- Please provide the names, daytime telephone, and email contact details of two referees who can attest to your knowledge and experience required for this position. Please note that referees should not be Ministry of Education employees.
- Please provide a 400-word candidate statement, detailing your background experience, qualifications, and any important information that you would like the Minister to be aware of when making these appointments. Please note that this statement will be included in the information which is presented to the Panel and then to the Minister of Education, as part of the selection process.
- Please complete the Board Eligibility declaration as part of this application.
For further information please contact Helen Greaney or Sara Enoka at MOE.GovernanceTeam@education.govt.nz or on 04 463 1056 or 04 816 0038.
Applications due at midnight on Sunday, 26 November 2023.
How to ApplyTo apply please go to: https://tinyurl.com/4pv6pjxz
136 total views, 0 today