Full-Time Māori Trustee
- Senior Executive Position
- Provide strategic, direction and oversight
- Based in Wellington
Do you have a proven track record founded on credibility and delivering tangible results?
The vision is clear:
Utaina te waka, hāpainga ko te hoe, kia tuputupu te whai oranga.
To mobilise Māori land and assets to create this generation’s legacy.
Māori land ownership and the legislation governing it, has seen many changes from the 1800s through to the present day. The appointment of the Māori Trustee is a statutory appointment made by the Minister for Māori Development.
The Māori Trustee is a statutory corporation sole with perpetual succession with its purpose to act as Trustee to protect and enhance the assets and interests of Māori clients and their resources.
“At the core of our work is the support we provide to Māori land owners to protect and enhance their land – for now and for generations to come” – Jamie Tuuta – Māori Trustee
We are seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from an exceptional, competent and natural people leader who is a strong influencer and advocate for innovation and empowering Māori landowners to reconnect with their whenua and support them to achieve their long-term aspirations.
As the Māori Trustee, you will front the organisation, immerse yourself in a range of environments and engage effectively with key stakeholders. The position is broadly scoped, so responsibilities are beyond the on-going health of the ‘bottom-line”. You will be able to demonstrate tested, strategic excellence, be strong of heart, and have the passion and compassion for the kaupapa.
Working in collaboration with whānau, hapū, iwi, local and government organisations, who seek to advance the aspirations for Māori development in the utilisation of Māori land, your key success areas will include:
- Identifying and strengthening the capability of Māori land owners to govern and/or manage the efficient utilisation of Māori land;
- Supporting the establishment of governance arrangements aligned with the aspirations and goals of the beneficial owners of Māori land;
- Supporting the achievement of greater economic opportunity;
- Investing and managing the General purpose fund;
- Maintaining and investing;
- Working in collaboration with multiple sector groups to seek to advance the aspirations for Māori development.
You will find a natural balance to ensure the ongoing sustainability via your diagnostic abilities to analyse, monitor, risk assess and plan for a sustainable and profitable future pathway.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience for this position can be seen as:
- Extensive experience in a senior management/leadership position.
- Knowledge and experience of the obligations of a trustee and the underlying principles of trusteeship.
- A relevant tertiary qualification gained in management, law, business or commercial is required.
- The ability to provide oversight of day to day operational management, planning, reporting, financial and staff management.
- Ability to create a strong, cohesive management team, who are committed to building a culture of continual improvement, improving operational efficiency and outcomes through quality improvement and best practice.
- Adept at Te Reo me ona tikanga Māori and the ability to adapt to different audiences adhering to tikanga and kawa.
- Politically astute, past skills and experience in Ministerial briefings, an understanding of the state and private sector relationships and demonstrable understanding of the “big picture”.
- The ability to demonstrate past programme governance, manage financial risk, resources and time metrics.
- The prior demonstration of establishing, maintaining and enhancing key strategic partnerships spanning a wide sector groups.
- The ability to identify and defuse potential conflict through applying empathy and a tika, pono approach.
- A strong problem solver, analytically minded, couple with a rigorous and structured approach to designing and implementing programs designed to empower Māori landowners.
As a senior leader, not only across the corporate and commercial sectors but within the communities you operate in, you will have the mana to bring diverse stakeholder groups together, be highly cognisant of others and their point of view and foster a centralised way of working, one that harnesses and encourages innovation and best practice, through a cultural lens to ultimately drive and deliver on quality outcomes.
This is a stimulating and intellectually rewarding environment, the position will attract a high level of applicant, with the remuneration positioned to attract those with the seniority, relevant skills and experience and tenure.
How to ApplyPlease signal your interest as soon as possible by contacting Heather Walker directly on Ph: (09) 632 1108 or request via email an e-information application pack to be sent out to you: email@example.com Applications close on Monday the 11th of June at 5.00pm
529 total views, 94 today