Full-Time Head of School – Hospitality and Tourism
Head of School – Hospitality and Tourism
- Critical academic leadership role – guide, empower and drive excellence
- Embrace staff career progression, foster research engagement, partnerships and funding
- AUT is ranked in the top 1% of world universities
Auckland University of Technology (AUT) is vibrant, achievement-oriented and a rewarding place to work. As one of the world’s top 30 millennial universities and New Zealand’s newest, it offers a stimulating teaching and research environment with strong connections to government, business, community and industry. AUT has over 29,000 students and 2,500 staff across our three teaching campuses and is located in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland – consistently ranked as one of the world’s most liveable cities.
AUT’s School of Hospitality and Tourism (part of our Faculty of Culture and Society) is ranked in the world’s top 35 for Hospitality & Leisure Management (QS Rankings 2020). Eduniversal Group has also ranked our Master of International Hospitality Management and our Master of International Tourism Management in the 20 best masters’ degrees in the world for hospitality and tourism. The BITM degree has achieved the prestigious UNTWO TedQual accreditation which has a strong emphasis on ethics, sustainability and support for Indigenous peoples. Our academic staff are globally known as experts in their fields and have research strengths across hospitality, tourism, gastronomy and events. We have a very close relationship with the NZ Tourism Research Institute (NZTRI) based at AUT. We have close links with industry and have very proactive and committed Hospitality and Tourism Industry Advisory Committees. Existing staff also have a proven track record in critical tourism, hospitality and events research, and NZTRI carries out significant commissioned research in New Zealand and throughout the Pacific Islands.
Become our new Head of School, Hospitality and Tourism
The successful candidate will lead approximately 65 FTE staff, and will spearhead and develop the School’s capabilities, reputation and provision of high-quality education and research in the fields of Hospitality, Tourism, Event Management and Culinary Arts. This is an opportunity to make a hugely significant impact as you continue the School’s strong growth and inspire staff to drive excellence in research, scholarship, teaching and learning. Other key roles include development of the Schools’ external profile, research partnerships and industry and community connections and attracting students to our programmes. These roles will require leadership, resilience, tenacity, empathy and strong communication skills as you lead positive improvements and embrace staff career progression and their achievement of excellence. The Head of School role is well supported by a committed Dean and excellent Deputy Head of School.
You will be ambitious and recognised as an effective academic leader, displaying natural attributes of trust, confidence and kindness. You will understand the critical balance between excellent teaching and effective research and have a collaborative, inclusive and engaging attitude that is flexible to School requirements and enhances the existing positive energy within the School. It is an exciting time for the Faculty’s leadership team and you also will be a key member of this, contributing to the strategic development and initiatives of this large and diverse academic unit. You will also continue to publish in your specialised research field and maintain a reduced teaching load.
Applications and Selection Criteria
We welcome applications from senior academics of high standing who have significant staff leadership experience (ideally across multiple disciplines) and have a respected academic background from one (or more) disciplines of: Hospitality, Tourism, Event Management or Culinary Arts.
We request applicants submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae (including full publication record) and a statement addressing the following key selection criteria:
- PhD in a relevant field and strong academic standing in one (or more) disciplines related to the School
- Significant academic staff leadership experience in roles such as Head of School (or Head of a large department with budget responsibility) – ideally in one (or more) disciplines related to the School
- Outstanding interpersonal, negotiation and diplomacy skills combined with a coaching and consultative approach to leadership
- Conscious of and familiarity with the unique characteristics of Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Significant experience developing programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Outstanding research and scholarship record at a national and/or international level (please also highlight your research focus – and contributions towards social impact, broadly or narrowly defined).
- Significant experience gaining industry and community stakeholder support and funding
- Significant experience establishing effective and enduring partnerships with industry, government, professional groups and the wider community
- Experience leading academic initiatives supporting under-represented community groups
- Experience of operational, cultural and environmental change management
- Applicants are welcome to add further comments of their own they feel of relevance to their application.
Applicants should also provide names, contact details and clarification of relationship for at least three potential referees. Referees will not be contacted without the prior consent of the applicant.
This is a unique and truly exceptional opportunity to develop and lead a successful school whilst contributing thought leadership for the wider faculty. We look forward to hearing from you.
Start Date: Ideally the successful applicant will start 1 October 2020.
The successful candidate will secure a 3-year secondment to the role of Head of School (with potential for a further 3-year extension as agreed by mutual consent) and a permanent substantive position at a senior academic (rank commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful applicant).
Advertising closes: Sunday, 12 April at 23:55pm (NZST). We expect first and second stage interviews to take place during April and May 2020.
Auckland University of Technology is an EEO employer, we are committed to the Treaty of Waitangi and to equity. AUT aspires to be the University of choice for Maori and Pacific communities.
Please note that all applications must be submitted through the online application process. For further information, please send us an enquiry here or call 921 9499. Please note we are happy to answer your questions but we do not accept applications by email. You will need to apply through the standard registration process.
How to ApplyTo view a copy of the position description and / or to APPLY NOW, visit our website. Advertising closes: Sunday, 12 April at 23:55pm (NZST). We expect first and second stage interviews to take place during April and May 2020. AUT is an EEO employer, we are committed to the Treaty of Waitangi and to equity. AUT aspires to be the University of choice for Maori and Pacific communities.
233 total views, 9 today