Full-Time Early Intervention Teacher
Based in Christchurch
Two positions available (a full-time permanent position and a full-time, fixed-term position)
- We have a big and important job to do and we need your help
- Make a real difference in children and young people’s lives
- Work as part of a trans-disciplinary team of dedicated professionals
Kia ora, Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Fakatalofa atu, Kia orana, Malo e lelei, Malo ni, Talofa lava, Tena koutou katoa and welcome.
Help shape the future of education
At the Ministry of Education, we work together to shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes.
Our organisation is made up of more than 3,000 talented and committed people around New Zealand, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
While we work in different groups and on different things, we all strive every day to make the biggest difference we can for every child, young person and adult student in our education system.
About our group and team
Learning Support is a critical part of the Sector Enablement and Support Group in the Ministry. We are charged with leading the education sector in ensuring that children and young people with additional learning needs are supported to achieve their full potential through education.
Our Learning Support specialists work closely with families, whānau, caregivers, schools and early childhood educators in English and Māori medium settings and other agencies to help maximise learning outcomes and promote social inclusion.
About this role
As an Early Intervention Teacher you will play a critical role in our region’s Learning Support team by:
- supporting transition points in the child’s learning pathway such as transition into early childhood and to school as required
- providing high quality learning support in accordance with the guiding principles, strands and goals of Te Whariki: Early Childhood Curriculum and Te Whariki a te Kohanga Reo
- strengthening the capability of those who are best placed to support the learning of children
- assessing, collaboratively planning, supporting and monitoring the implementation of individual (or group) intervention plans.
To be successful you will need the following:
- A Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood)
- A post-graduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Early Intervention or the ability to attain this within four years of beginning in the position
- A minimum of three years teaching experience and a deep knowledge of child development, learning and behaviour
- An understanding of a range of needs and disabilities and their implications for daily functioning in family life and for teaching and learning in the context of early childhood and family homes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with children, young people and their families and teachers across a diverse range of settings
- The ability to understand and apply the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and tangata whenuatanga.
What can we offer you?
We offer a competitive salary and terms and conditions.
In addition, our specialists tell us they value the following:
- “The ability to make a positive difference in the lives of children, young people and their whānau and contribute to system wide change is a huge plus”
- “The Ministry offers a strong community of practice and the support of a large organisation so I never feel isolated or alone”
- “I really value the ability to work closely with specialists from other disciplines. It enhances my own practice and thinking”
Are you ready to make a difference?
We have a full-time permanent position available and a full-time, fixed-term position (12 month Parental Leave) also available.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
As a government agency, the Ministry is committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi’s guiding principles in our work for and with Māori students, their whānau, hapū and iwi.
How to ApplyPlease review the position description by copying and pasting this link into your browser: https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/668488_JobDesc.pdf If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply now using the 'apply online' button. For further information, please contact Juanita Davidson at 3787701 and/or
178 total views, 12 today