Full-Time Director of Professional Learning/Head of altLAB
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Director of Professional Learning/Head of altLAB
- Operationalise a radically different approach to Learning & Teaching
- Lead and inspire the delivery of innovative services and initiatives
- Permanent, full-time role based in Auckland
Auckland University of Technology (AUT) is a vibrant, achievement-oriented and rewarding place to work. As one of the world’s top 30 millennial universities and New Zealand’s newest, AUT offers a stimulating teaching and research environment with strong connections to business and industry. We have over 29,000 students and 2,500 staff across our three teaching campuses.
AUT has a genuine energy and focus on learning and teaching at present, galvanised throughout AUT’s senior leadership. The Director of Professional Learning/Head of altLAB (AUT’s Learning Transformation Laboratory) is an outstanding new permanent opportunity for a dynamic learning and teaching leader to operationalise a radically different approach to how we support our academics within a fresh, compelling and service-orientated way. AltLAB is a newly created entity at AUT incorporating a realignment of our Centre for Learning and Teaching, and is designed to position AUT at the fore of contemporary professional learning practices for academic staff. As a central university service, we cover a broad range of educational practice, which includes innovative pedagogy, curriculum development, assessment, digital learning and scholarship/pedagogical research.
Our new learning and teaching strategy and vision through to 2025 has already been finalised – and our Pro-Vice Chancellor for Learning and Teaching now needs the right person to come in and support her to make it happen. This is a greenfields opportunity for an ambassador of transformative change to embrace the new state and drive the change required to ensure academic staff are fully equipped to cope with the demands of higher education. You’ll facilitate AUT’s reputation as a sector leader in learning and teaching as you:
- Operationalise and drive forward AUT’s Learning and Teaching Roadmap
- Provide focused, positive leadership and management to a large team of academic and professional staff as you guide and support them through transition into both altLAB, and it’s accompanying proactive, service-orientated approach to the provision of learning and teaching support services
- Become the highly visible face of altLAB and Professional Learning at AUT, building strong and productive relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in a large, complex tertiary environment
- Drive projects successfully through implementation and to completion, whilst achieving a working balance between quality staff-centric services and transformative change
What kind of person are we looking for?
To do this we need an experienced learning and teaching leader to make this strategy and vision a reality. You will implement improvements with optimism, engaging your current team for the journey ahead and be comfortable and excited with taking learning to the faculties and ultimately, exciting our students.
You will have a passion and skill for the exploration, examination and assessment of future Learning and Teaching innovations and opportunities. Working with initiative and an inquisitive appetite for exploring external factors affecting learning and teaching services will be important as you seek to optimise new opportunities for AUT. You may have already been making these kinds of proposals in your current role.
AUT is a fantastic place to work and has excellent staff benefits including free study, a personal fund for your continued professional development, free membership to AUT gyms and generous leave allowances.
Applications and Key Selection Criteria
Applicants must submit their CV, cover letter, as well as a statement addressing the following key selection criteria:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field. A PhD is highly desirable.
- Significant learning and teaching leadership expertise within higher education, or another large complex organisation.
- Experience successfully implementing and operationalising strategic plans.
- Experience successfully managing and leading multi-discipline service-focussed teams in changing environments.
- A service attitude and high-level interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to drive improvements.
- Demonstrable experience achieving successful change management initiatives.
- Understanding of the tertiary education sector and national and international trends in learning and teaching.
- Experience with contemporary learning technologies and their application.
- Applicants are welcome to add further comments of their own, which they feel of relevance to the role and its requirements.
For a confidential discussion, contact Mike Wood, Executive Recruitment Partner email@example.com.
Closing date: Sunday, 29 September @ 23:55pm
Auckland University of Technology is an EEO employer, we are committed to the Treaty of Waitangi and to equity. AUT aspires to be the University of choice for Maori and Pacific communities.
Please note that all applications must be submitted through the online application process. For further information, please send us an enquiry here or call 921 9499. Please note we are happy to answer your questions but we do not accept applications by email. You will need to apply through the standard registration process.
How to Apply
752 total views, 1 today